Job is now hearing from God who explains life from His perspective. Let’s look at some of God’s statements to describe His superiority:
- Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
- Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb,
- Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn its place,
- Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep
- Have the gates of death been shown to you?
- Have you seen the gates of the deepest darkness?
- What is the way to the abode of light?
- Where does darkness reside?
- Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail,
- What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed, or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?
- Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain, and a path for the thunderstorm,
- Do you know the laws of the heavens?
- Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
God’s statements to Job provide an understanding of Job’s complete misunderstanding of God which are reflected in the previous chapters.
Jesus is defining hypocrisy: the hypocrite takes actions before man to be seen by man.
“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.”
These are the situations:
- When you give to the needy
- When you pray
- When you fast.
The end goal is for the Lord to see your actions not man. If this happens the Lord will reward you.