The 1662 Book of Common Prayer’s readings for the evening of July 11:
Job reminisces about his life with God prior to his present situation. These are some of the expressions:
- His lamp shone over my head
- by His light I walked through darkness
- I was in the prime of my days
- friendship of God was over my tent
- the Almighty was yet with me
- I put on righteousness, and it clothed me
- My justice was like a robe and a turban
- I was a father to the needy
- I broke the jaws of the wicked
- my bow is renewed in my hand
- to me they listened and waited
- I smiled on them when they did not believe
- And the light of my face they did not cast down.
- I chose a way for them and sat as chief
- And dwelt as a king among the troops
- As one who comforted the mourners
At verse 30:1 Job describes the transition to his present state:
- But now those younger than I mock me
Matthew 5:13 – 33
Jesus explains in verses:
- 13-16 for His disciples to let their light shine in the world.
- 17-20 He is not abolishing the Law of Moses but fulfilling it. Meaning by faith in Him we are credited with His law keeping.
- 20-33 Jesus is setting the new standard of murder, adultery, divorce and oaths.
The new standard is the Law of faith or law of the heart vs. the Law of Moses which is an external law of stone.